The conversion of the Grand-Hôtel de Lyon mobilized more than 1000 people to transform the former Lyon hospital into a new place of life. This is the largest private conversion of a historic monument ever carried out in France.
In total, on this 2.2-hectare UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1998, 51,500 m² of buildings have been rehabilitated and converted by Eiffage teams to accommodate shops, restaurants, offices, a convention centre, accommodation, private parking, an International Gastronomy City and a 5* hotel under the Intercontinental brand.
On June 4, Lyon inhabitants and visitors were able to discover the magnificent Hotel Intercontinental Lyon – Hôtel Dieu decorated by Jean-Philippe Nuel, an international reference in the design of prestigious hotels. The decorative concept of the building is inspired by the history of the place and combines the sobriety of the old hospital with the richness of the exterior architecture.
This new reference in Lyon’s upscale hotel industry will offer three levels:
- 144 rooms and suites overlooking the Rhône, the Fourvière hill or the inner courtyards of the Grand Hôtel-Dieu.
- A bar named «Le Dôme» in reference to its location under the majestic dome of the large dome, built by the architect Soufflot in the 18th century (32 meters under vault for a surface of 500 m²).
- The Epona restaurant opens onto a terrace on the ground floor.
- The Academy, one of the most important conference centers of the Presqu'île and the city center, with 12 rooms on 1,500 m².
- A fitness room and a spa area.
Offices, businesses and housing opened in April 2018. Today, the opening of the Intercontinental Hotel is the penultimate stage of this titanic project that will be concluded next autumn with the opening to the public of the Cité Internationale de la Gastronomie.